Post Office

Newtonville’s first Post office opened in 1835 when the village was known as both “Clarke” (named after Clarke Township, which it was part of) and “Newton”. It was located at the corner of Kingston Rd. (Highway 2) and the 8th Sideroad. The first Postmaster was Thomas Hymers, and the 1st mail carrier was John Carscadden, who carried mail from here to Kendal in 1857.

The village had 8 Postmasters since the inception of the Post office. The last Postmistress was Joyce Carroll in 1991. At this time Canada Post’s mandate was to close many of the smaller rural Post offices.

Since then the village has been placed on a Rural Route delivery sorted in Port Hope.